An area of mature woodland at the end of my street was cleared for the construction of a cul-de-sac. I am fascinated with the regrowth of pioneer plants, both native and exotics, that have struggled to establish themselves on the bare ground. These images were taken in the second year of growth.
The plants included are sycamore, mile-a-minute vine, moth mullein, locust, tulip poplar, raspberry, sumac, Virginia creeper, ragweed, white campion, locust, and poke.
Cyanotype on cotton, heliographic prints on cotton, digital prints on cotton, hand embroidery, machine stitching.
Size: 39"h x 63"w
- Fantastic Foliage, solo show, Jonal Gallery, 2010, Columbia, PA
- Fabulous Fiber, 2008, Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ
- Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, 2007, Harrisburg, PA, special exhibit, River Visions
- Crafts National 40, 2006, Zoller Gallery, University Park Campus, Penn State University, Award of Merit
- Quilts=Art=Quilts, 2005, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY
- World Quilt and Textile: On Tour, 2005, Columbus, OH and Manchester, NH
- Quilter's Heritage Celebration, 2005, Lancaster, PA
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, 2005, Hampton, VA
- Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, issue #385