About the Artist
Sue Reno is an award winning fiber artist who lives and works in Lancaster County, PA. Her rich and intricate art quilts reflect her local environment and incorporate imagery drawn from her studies of botany, wildlife, historic architecture, and the Susquehanna River.
She employs surface design techniques including cyanotype, mono printing, digital image transfer, and needle felting as the basis for works that also incorporate hand painted fabrics, hand and machine stitching, and beadwork.
Sue's work was selected for the U.S. State Department Art in Embassies program in Vientiane, Laos. Her “Silk Mill #3” was added to the permanent fine art collection of the Pennsylvania State Museum. Her work has been featured in publications including American Quilter, Quilting Arts Magazine, Machine Quilting Unlimited, The Quilt Life Magazine, Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine, Seasonal Palette, The Studio Quilt and 1000 Artisan Textiles, and in an episode of “Simply Quilts” on HGTV. Sue is featured in several episodes of Quilting Arts TV, airing on PBS stations nationwide. Her Quilting Arts TV Workshop Video, Surface Design Essentials for the Printed Quilt, is available as a DVD/download.
Sue was one of a select group of artists chosen to participate in the James Webb Space Telescope Artist Event at NASA Goddard Space Center. She has exhibited in solo shows as well as participating in numerous art and fine craft exhibits at venues including The Pennsylvania State Museum, the Robeson gallery at Penn State, the Wayne Art Center, the Wolf Gallery at York College, and the Bellefonte Museum, all in PA; the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY, the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, TX, the Greater Denton Art Council, TX, the Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center in Auburn, NY, The Vision Gallery in Chandler, AZ, the Monmouth Museum in Lincroft, NJ, and the Museum of Fine Art in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. She regularly contributes to quilt exhibits across the US. Her career includes lecturing on the creative process and serving as a juror for fine craft and quilt exhibitions.
I’ve spent my life wandering the woods, wild places, and ruins of Pennsylvania. Increasingly I feel a sense of urgency to document what I observe. The beauty is intense, yet so transitory and fragile, and I am driven to record and preserve what I can.
Textiles are the ideal medium for this work. Fabric is flexible and adaptable, seemingly delicate but surprising strong and enduring. Pulling textiles from their familiar domestic usage and utilizing them in an artistic context is a powerful form of expression.
I use a variety of surface design techniques to put imagery onto the fabric, often working directly with plant materials. I capture a moment in the life cycle with cyanotype or monoprints, working outdoors at the tender mercies of the environment. I also work with screen printing and digital printing from my extensive collection of photographs, including macro photos of native mammal skulls. Lately I have added felting and fabric manipulation to my repertoire in order to capture the ever-changing moods of my beloved Susquehanna River.
Combined with the imagery, I use traditional quilt making techniques to assemble a patchwork of fabrics from a wide variety of sources, both commercial and hand crafted. I often incorporate vintage needlework elements, as homage to previous generations of women whose avenues for self-expression were more constrained than mine. The work is then layered and heavily stitched, to add elements of line and texture.
I work on several pieces from my ongoing series concurrently. My depictions of plants, animals, historic architecture and river landscapes all play off each other to form a cohesive whole, a body of work that highlights the splendor of my local environment and the urgent need for conservation.
- Flora, Fauna and Flow, retrospective exhibit of 30 art quilts, October - December, 2017, Olewine Gallery, Ned Smith Center for Nature and Art, Millersburg, PA.
- Sue Reno: Life Along the River, narrative art quilts depicting the Susquehanna River and its environs. 2017, Pennsylvania Arts Experience Gallery, York, PA.
- Sue Reno--Recent Fiber Works, 2013, Pennsylvania Arts Experience Gallery, York, PA.
- Flora and Fauna, 2010, PA Arts Experience Gallery, Lancaster, PA.
- Fantastic Foliage, 2010, Jonal Gallery, Columbia, PA.
- Transformation: The Watt & Shand Series, 2010, The Arts Hotel Gallery, Lancaster, PA.
- Nature Quilts, 2009, Isadore Gallery, Lancaster, PA
- River Visions, 2007, The Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, Harrisburg, PA.
- Silk Mill #3, Permanent Fine Art Collection of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.
- In Dreams I Flew Over the River, Susquehanna River Art Collection, Zimmerman Center, Wrightsville, PA
- United States Department of State Art in Embassies program, 2011 - 2013, US Embassy, Vientiane, Laos.
Selected Art and Fine Craft Exhibits:
- Art of the State Purchase Award Collection, 1969-2017, October 2017 – February 2018, State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA
- SPUN 2017 Innovative Fiber Exhibition, 2017, NEST Arts Factory, Bridgeport, CT. Juror: Jeffrey Mueller.
- 38th Annual Contemporary Craft Exhibit, 2017, Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum, Mesa, AZ. Juror: Stefanie Kirkland.
- The James Webb Space Telescope: Art + Science 2017, Invitational, 2017, NASA Goddard Visitor Center, Greenbelt, MD.
- SPUN, 2016, NEST Arts Factory, Bridgeport, CT. Juror: Dr Linda Wolk-Simon.
- Fiber National 2016, Workhouse Arts Center, Lorton, VA.
- 37th Annual Contemporary Craft, Mesa Arts Museum, 2016, Mesa, AZ. Juror: Elisabeth Argo.
- Pennsylvania Arts Experience Member Exhibit, PA Governor's Residence, 2015 - 2016.
- Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2015, The State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA. Juror: Dustin Davis.
- Materials: Hard and Soft, 2015, Greater Denton Arts Council, Denton, TX. Juror: Ana M. Lopez.
- 35th Annual Contemporary Craft Exhibit, 2014, Mesa Contemporary Arts Museum, Mesa, AZ. Juror: Julie Muniz.
- Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2013, The State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA. Juror: Wendelyn W. Anderson. Museum Purchase Award with work added to the Permanent Fine Art Collection of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.
- Images 2013, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA. Juror: Joyce Robinson. Award of Merit.
- The Susquehanna as Muse, 2013, Pennsylvania Arts Experience, Marketview Arts Gallery, York, PA.
- Pushing the Limits 2012, Artspace Gallery, Richmond, VA. Juror: Katie Shaw.
- Contemporary Threads, 2012, Marietta Art House, Marietta, PA. Invitational.
- Images 2012, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA. Juror: Barbara McNulty .
- Craft Forms 2011, Wayne Art Center, Wayne, PA. Juror: Elisabeth Agro.
- The Art of Fiber, 2011, Workhouse Arts Center, Lorton VA. Jurors: Candace Edgerley and Trudi C. Van Dyke.
- Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2011, State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA. Honorable Mention Award. Juror: Beth Ann Gerstein, Awards Juror: Leo Mazow.
- Images 2011, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA. Juror: Ron Rumford.
- National Fiber Directions, 2011, Wichita Center for the Arts, Wichita, KS Juror: Jill Rumoshosky Werner.
- Materials Hard and Soft, 2011, Visual Arts Center, Denton, TX. Juror: Thomas Lauerman.
- Inside Outside, 2011, Goggleworks Center for the Arts, Reading, PA. Juror: Bruce Samuelson.
- Images 2010, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA, Best in Show and Honorable Mention awards. Juror: Dan Mills.
- More Than Fiber, Goggleworks Center for the Arts, 2010, Reading, PA. Juror: Warren Selig.
- A World of Stitches: appliqué art from Benin, Panama and Pennsylvania, 2009, Bellefonte Museum for Centre County, Bellefonte, PA. Invitational: curated by Patricia House.
- Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2009, The State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA. Juror: Theodore Hallman, Jr.
- Images 2009, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA. Juror: Judith Hansen O’Toole.
- PA Arts Experience Members Exhibit, 2009, Lancaster Arts Hotel Gallery, Lancaster, PA.
- Materials: Hard & Soft, 2009, Denton, TX. Juror: Marilyn da Silva.
- PA Arts Experience Member Exhibit, 2009, Wolf Gallery, York College, York, PA.
- Images 2008, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University, University Park, PA, Viewer’s Choice Award. Juror: Dinah Ryan.
- Fabulous Fiber, 2008, Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ. Jurors: Joanie San Chirico and Geraldine Velasquez.
- Images 2007, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA. Juror: Heather Pesanti.
- Crafts National 40, 2006, Zoller Gallery, Penn State University, Pa, Award of Merit. Juror: Mark Richard Leach.
- Connecting Cultures and Colors: First Kyrgyz-American Quilt Exhibit, 2006, Museum of Fine Art, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Invitational, curated by Karen Musgrave.
Selected Quilt Exhibits:
- Connected by Stitch, The Gallery at Penn College Williamsport, PA, October 22 - December 8, 2016. Jurist: Joshua R. Willis.
- Seasonal Palette, SAQA, premiering Houston Quilt Festival 2012, and traveling worldwide through 2016. Curated by Kathleen McCabe and Vicki Mangum.
- AQS Quiltweek Lancaster, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, First Place Award in category 2015, 2016, Lancaster County Convention Center, Lancaster, PA.
- AQS Quiltweek Grand Rapids, 2015, DeVos Place Convention Center, Grand Rapids, MI. Third place award in category.
- Artquilts XII, 2008; Artquilts XV, 2010; Artquilts XVI, 2011; Artquilts XVII, 2013 – Best in Show Award; Chandler Center for the Arts and Vision Gallery, Chandler, AZ.
- New Legacies Contemporary Art Quilts, Lincoln Center, Ft. Collins, CO, 2013.
- In Full Bloom, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX, 2012;
- Tactile Architecture, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX, 2011, 2012, 2014.
- Structures in Cloth, 2011 - 2012, Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities, Arvada CO; Sangre de Cristo Arts Center, Pueblo CO; and The Fort Collins Museum of Art, Fort Collins, CO. Jurors: Sandra Sider and Bebe Alexander.
- New Legacies: Contemporary Art Quilts, 2011, 2013, Lincoln Center Gallery, Ft. Collins, CO.
- Quilts=Art=Quilts, 2005, 2006, 2010, Schwienfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY.
- River Quilts, 2011, The National Quilt Museum, Paducah, KY. Invitational: curated by Judy Schwender.
- Contemporary Colorations, NQA Quilt Show, Columbus, OH, 2008. Invitational: curated by Lynn G. Kough.
- Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, Honorable Mentions 2004, 2005, 2nd Place 2006, solo exhibit “River Visions” 2007, Best Use of Color award 2008, Judge’s Choice award 2009.
- Celebrate Spring, International Quilt Festival, Chicago, IL, 2005, 2008, 2009.
- Quilts: A World of Beauty, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX, 2005, 3rd place 2007.
- Small Wonders VIII, International Quilt Festival, Chicago & IQF Houston, 2006.
- Denver National Quilt Festival, Denver, CO, 2005, 2006 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, Hampton, VA, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Pacific International Quilt Festival, Santa Clara CA, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008.
- Quilter's Heritage Celebration, Lancaster, PA, 2005, Honorable Mention 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Quilt Odyssey, Hershey, PA, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Sacred Threads, Reynoldsburg, OH, 2005, 2007, 2009.
- Fabric of Legacies National Quilt Exhibit, Ft. Collins, CO, 2005, 4th Place 2006.
- Working with Wet Cyanotype, Machine Quilting Unlimited, Jan.-Feb. 2018 issue
- Painting the Stars by Erin Winick, Lateral Magazine, Issue 19, February 2017
- Quilting Arts Magazine, Making Cyanotype Prints, Feb/March 2016.
- Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine, Cover Quilt and feature article Environmental Explorations, September-October 2015.
- Surface Design Essentials for the Printed Quilt, Quilting Arts Workshop Video, an instructional DVD/download.
- Quilting Arts TV, 3 segments for Series 1400, began airing on PBS in July 2014.
- 1000 Quilt Inspirations, by Sandra Sider, Quarto Publishing, 2015
- American Quilter Magazine, The Hand of the Maker profile, and Cognitive Textile Artist Process feature article, March 2014.
- Quilting Arts Magazine, feature article A Botanist's Delight, Oct./Nov. 2013.
- Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine, Nov.-Dec.2013.
- Feature article and video interview, Lancaster Newspapers, March 10, 2013.
- Seasonal Palette hardcover catalog, fall 2012.
- How to Decorate and Embellish Your Fabrics, Search Press Ltd., featured artist, 2012.
- The Quilt Life magazine, feature article The Structures, Oct. 2012.
- The Quilt Life magazine, August 2012.
- Machine Quilting Unlimited, Jaw Dropper feature, July/August 2012.
- Machine Quilting Unlimited, invitational Seasons challenge feature, May/June 2012.
- The Studio Quilt, No. 6: The State of the Art, by Sandra Sider, featured artist, 2011
- International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene magazine, gallery feature, 2011.
- The Quilt Life magazine, It's My Nature feature, February 2011.
- PA Artisan Trail billboard image, 2011, Rt. 30, Gettysburg, PA.
- 1000 Artisan Textiles, Quarry Books, featured artist, 2010.
- Stitch in Time feature article, Lancaster Sunday News, 3/28/10.
- Magic in Fabric, feature article, Lancaster Newspapers, 3/18/10.
- SAQA Portfolio 16, (2009), Portfolio 17 (2010), Portfolio 18 (2012), Porfolio 19 (2013), Portfolio 20 (2014) and Portfolio 21 (2015).
- Machine Quilting Unlimited, feature article In The Studio, July 2009.
- Featured Artist, Simply Quilts episode 1130, HGTV.
- Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, feature article, September 2006.
- The Professional Quilter magazine, cover quilt, Fall 2006.
- Interview, The Quilt Alliance, Q.S.O.S.
- A Beginner's Guide to Art Quilts, Leisure Art Publications, featured artist, 2006.
- Fiberarts Magazine, fiber postcard image, April/May 2006.
- Feature article, Lancaster (PA) New Era, October 2005.
- AQS QuiltWeek, First Place Award in category, 2015, Lancaster, PA.
- AQS QuiltWeek, Third Place Award in category, 2015, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2013, The State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA. Juror: Wendelyn W. Anderson. Museum Purchase Award, with work added to the Permanent Fine Art Collection of the State Museum of Pennsylvania.
- Images 2013, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University at University Park, PA. Juror: Joyce Robinson. Award of Merit.
- Artquilts XVII: Integrating a Paradox, 2012, Chandler Center for the Arts and Vision Gallery, Chandler, AZ. Best in Show.
- Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2011, State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, PA. Honorable Mention.
- Images 2010, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University, PA, Best in Show and Honorable Mention.
- Images 2008, Robeson Gallery, Penn State University, PA, Viewer’s Choice Award.
- Crafts National 40, Zoller Gallery, Penn State University, PA, 2006 Award of Merit.
- Quilts: A World of Beauty, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX, 2007, 3rd place.
- Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, 2004 Honorable Mentions, 2006 2nd Place, 2008 Best Use of Color, 2009 Judge’s Choice.
- Quilter's Heritage Celebration, Lancaster, PA, 2006 Honorable Mention.
- Fabric of Legacies National Quilt Exhibit, Ft. Collins, CO, 2006 4th Place.
- Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts, 2011, 2017, State College, PA.
- Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen, Board Member and Vice President of Standards 2014 - 2015, ongoing exhibit, member, and floor jurying, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.
- SAQA exhibit "I'm Not Crazy", 2012.
- Sacred Threads Quilt Exhibit, 2009, 2011, Herndon, VA.
- Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen - Master Artisan
- Studio Art Quilt Associates - Studio Artist
- The Fiberarts Guild of PIttsburgh
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA, completed 3 years towards a bachelor’s degree in Religious Studies.